View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Carlas' post

The Sun was high in the air as Durin walked with his mother down the hot streets of Erebor. The sky was cloudless and the rich blue seemed even brighter than usual. Durin looked around at the buildings and roads around him, thinking about the last few years he had spent in Erebor. He loved it here, it was his home, but he needed to leave and explore the world outside again, like he had done years ago, with his father. Now though, he would not be with his father Dain since he had left to visit friends in Mirkwood a few months back, Durin was going to finally be responsible and be able to watch over himself instead. But, as much as he had always wanted just that, he couldn’t help but wishing that his father could come along to find Ruhn, the Land of Riches with him. It had been a myth for years, and now he and a group of dwarves were going to find Ruhn, and the legendary body of water with the shining lights, but his father would not be there.

Glis, his mother, looked over at him thoughtfully and smiled her warm smile that she kept especially for him. “Do not trouble about your father.” She said as though reading his mind. “He is getting on in years, as am I, and we know that you are ready to take care of yourself.” Durin nodded and stared at the ground in front of him. Glis stopped suddenly and took her son’s bearded face in her hands. “Your father and I are very proud of you. You are a strong and skilled dwarf, and you are going to go find Ruhn! Think of how pleased your father will be when he hears of where you are going, this journey is like no other you or anyone else will ever take. Be proud son.”

Durin looked up into his mother’s eyes and smiled from under his long beard. “But father will be even more proud when I bring him back a great sack of treasure!” Glis laughed and nodded. “Of course, but I better get a sack five times larger than his!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was nearly noon by the time Durin and his mother finally reached the Great Hall. They had walked around after their talk, and chatted about everything and anything, as Durin looked about the beautiful city one last time before leaving on his journey. He was sad to be leaving, but he was now becoming excited. Who knew what kind of things they would find in Ruhn, and from what he had heard, it sounded like a beauteous land.

He turned to face his aging mother who smiled kindly down at him. They didn’t say anything, and didn’t need to say anything. Durin knew his mother was sad to see him go, they had become very attached over the years, but Glis knew how important it was for Durin to finally be able to leave on his own and learn to be responsible for himself. She walked up to her son and embraced him tightly, not wanting to let go. As they pulled apart, she kissed him gently on the forehead.

Durin and his mother smiled sadly at eachother for a moment before he finally turned towards the Great Hall. Glis watched him walk away and silently whispered “Goodbye Durin, son of Dain, my son.”