View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Perky Ent’s post

Some dwarves never hear it the first time. “Yes. Yes. Yes, don’t worry. I’ll have your ax repaired by the end of the month. Engraving of a dove? Yes. Ok.” As the stout dwarf left Káin’s shop, Káin started on the repair of the dwarf’s ax. In several hours, it looked good as new. “Now there is a quality ax! Time to get you off to your master!” said Káin as he trotted off to find the ax’s owner. “Ah! Now that is an ax! Here’s your gold!” said the owner of the ax. Káin always enjoyed delivering the weapons he crafted. The smiles and the compliments were the best in the world.

As Káin entered his forge, he noticed a small letter on his business table. “Now who could this be from?” Káin said, as there was no name except his own. The letter read:

Káin Bronzetooth,

Your service is required in a “quest” of glory! I am inviting dwarves and….possibly others to an expidition that, if all goes well, will make us filthy rich. There are recent tales of the land of Rhún, far off into the east. If all goes well, there should be a paradise awaiting us. Have you ever wanted to be a legend? Even wanted to be counted among the great? Well, this is your chance. If interested, please meet me in the Great Hall my mid-day. However, this isn’t a walk around the street. This is a serious quest. So, you’ll have to pack up belongings you want to bring, and food while your at it. Please remember, we don’t know how long it will be before we can restock, so back for the long haul. Please consider this opportunity!

“Weird” Káin said as he pondered the letter. “Rhún. Haven’t heard of that in years. Why now? Who wrote that letter anyway? What’s this all about?” As Káin reread the letter, he stopped. “Have you ever wanted to be a legend? Of course! Who wouldn’t! But I have to think fast! If I’m not quick, they might give up my part! I better get over there and find out what’s going on!” The blue sky gleamed in the heavens like a ocean of simarils. The conditions were perfect for a journey. “Well, I better get started! Borfin!” In a heartbeat, Borfin, Káin’s apprentice scurried out from behind the forge. He was about 30 and had dirt on his face. “Borfin! This is it! If you pass, you will be as skilled as I. If you’re successful, you are free to open your own forge. Here is your task. I’m going out on a quest with several dwarves to Rhún. You’ve heard of it, haven’t you? Anyways, I will be gone for a couple of months, and I want you to run the store! When I come back, if the place is well kept up, you are free to be your own master.” Borfin was stunned. Giving a smile, Borfin nooded. “Yes, then I’ll pack and see you in a couple of months. Um…please don’t ruin The Mithril Star Borfin! I’ve grown quite fond of my forge!” and with that, Káin started packing. He backed his favorite ax, along with an ax for throwing and a small blunt dagger. After packing food and other essentials, Káin started walking to the Great Hall. “Goodbye Mithril Star, take care of yourself. “ At last, Káin had made it to the Great Hall. He looked upon the assembled dwarves. “I’ll do it! When do we leave?”