View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:05 AM   #150
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Ah, so 'twas in the 1930s ("Etymologies"). But in author's note 28 to "Quendi and Eldar" (1959-1960)
True. Still:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
I generally tend to view the legendarium as a whole (one may say, historically, or even 'historiographically'), as a complex compilation of sources.
+ rauko and arauko (< *grauk-) 'a powerful, hostile, and terrible creature'[/i] is both powerful and terrible/hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
Or perhaps there are hosts of "Demons of Torment" and a seven powerful "Demons of Might"?
Perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
If we imagine German troops approaching through the mist & smoke of no man's land, spraying flame from their dreadful Flammenwerfers, I think its easy to see where Tolkien got the idea from.
Plausible. Very plausible. My compliments . Thanks for the link, too. It is most interesting that on Somme, Brits already had their own flamethrowers ready (quoting from the article you linked us to, davem):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstWorldWar.com
The British, intrigued by the possibilities offered by flamethrowers, experimented with their own models. In readiness for the Somme offensive they constructed four sizeable models (weighing two tons each), built directly into a forward trench constructed in No Man's Land a mere 60 yards from the German line.
But those were not portable, though.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote