Thread: Resistance RPG
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 12:55 PM   #83
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Child's post - The hobbits strike a deal - November 1

Tansy smiled at her husband cupping her hand over his, as she gently leaned closer and whispered a few words in his ear. He responded in kind. This guarded conversation continued for several minutes, until Bert stepped forward and carefully scrutinized the rag-tag band, finally nodding his head in agreement, "Alright, Missus. I suppose no harm can come from lettin' 'em in the kitchen to warm themselves and talk a spell."

With that, the farmer strode over to Josh and pointed the way towards a cozy room just off the hall that featured a number of sturdy chairs around an old wooden table. Along the wall was a blazing hearth fire where a pot of vegetable stew simmered in preparation for supper. Tansy bustled over with a tray of steaming mugs, each of them filled to the brim with hot cider, and a plate of sweet honey muffins, the very last in her cupboard although she was careful not to mention that to her guests.

Josh and the farmer sat by themselves near the firepit, purposely keeping their voices low so that others could not hear what they were saying. The children scampered in and out, each one showing off their favorite toy or trinket for Cami or Niluial, so that the late afternoon passed quite pleasantly.

At the end of about an hour, Josh called his companions over to listen to what the farmer had to say. Bert brought out a good sized box overflowing with pipeweed, which was passed around so everyone could share.

Then the farmer cleared his throat and began speaking, "I can't tell you how hard it's been. I guess it's 'cause this is where the pipeweed is, but the place has been crawlin' with bad 'uns. The Chief's men are far from the worst, or even Ferny's. We've had other folk passin' through. Real bad folk.... Folk who are sent down by Sharkey...."

The farmer turned and shook his head in disapproval, stopping to tamp his pipe. "Just this past week, I had dealins' with one fellow who'd only see me in the dead of night. Wanted to buy some weed for Sharkey, or so he claimed. Looked more like an animal than a man to my way of thinking. I finally gave 'em five bags of the stuff jest to git him out of my sight."

He glanced over at his wife who looked up with worried eyes, "I didn't mention this before. No use gittin' you and the little 'uns upset. But this fellow gave me the shivers. Big vacant eyes with deep shadows. He kept lookin' at Jud and me like we was some kind of prey. I was plenty glad that we was together. Otherwise who knows what he might of done!"

"No! I had enough of the like of 'im. We're half starvin' anyway. They come and drag off the stuff and don't even pay for it."

He turned and stared at Josh, "You be lucky up there in Tukland where folk can still enjoy their home and hearth! Pay me a decent price and I'll load down the pony with bags of weed. Nothin' on the bags to show where they come from. And I'm trustin' you to keep yer bargain and say nothin' of our dealins'"

Josh stood up and grinned ear to ear, hardly believing his good fortune. He hadn't been certain what the farmer would say. "You have our word," Josh assured him.

"You lads can bed down in the animal's shed, and the lasses can stay in the house with my girls." He nodded toward Cami and Niluial.

The hobbits ran up to Bert and shook his hand; Cami tiptoed close and placed a kiss on his cheek whispering that he was a "dear, dear hobbit".

"Enough of that now," he teased, shyly pulling away. "Just be careful to keep yer noses under cover so no one sees you. I'll git you off at early morn with a good, hot breakfast."

Josh counted out the coins fair and square for Bert and Tansy and shook hands on the deal, promising that he would never tell anyone where the pipeweed came from, except for Thain Paladin.

Cami and Hob have a serious discussion:

It was a pleasant enough evening as the sun set over the farm and the hobbits enjoyed a modest meal with the farmer and his family. Josh managed to go off into the fields with his bow and came back with a brace of conies that were quickly skinned and added to the stew pot to simmer for the last hour.

Hob sat with his arm wound tightly about Cami's waist as the couple discussed everything that had happened earlier in the day. He had stuffed his Shirriff's hat into his back pocket with the feather all scrunched down so no one could possibly see it. He stared out sadly at the fields of weed and shook his head. "So much goodness and plenty. Enough for everyone to share. Why does it have to be like this?"

Cami shook her head and sighed. There really was no answer that would explain why things were the way they were.

"I was such a fool," Hob continued, barely speaking above a whisper. "I didn't know that workin' as a Shirriff meant siding with the kind of fellow that Bert described. It makes me feel like a real rounder." His shoulders sagged slightly as he thought back on the past few days and wondered why he hadn't had courage to break loose from the Chief. "I knew it was wrong," he muttered to himself. "I knew it was wrong but it just seemed so hard."

Hobb glanced towards the setting sun and then back at Cami. In response, she slid her body into the crook of his arm and leaned against him, lowering her head on his chest and nestling closer. Then he spoke out in a clear, quiet voice, "Cami Goodchild, I won't let you down again. Not today or tomorrow. I'll do what I can to stand up against these thugs. You'll see. You'll be proud of me. And when this is all said and done, the two of us will wed."

She reached her hands upward and stroked his curls, while he leaned over and sealed their bargain with a kiss full of promise and longing.

[ October 19, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]