Thread: Resistance RPG
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #99
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Dury fingered the paper in his shirt pocket, listening intently to the crinkling sound it made as he pressed against it. All the while his thoughts raced, contrasting severely with the slow rhythm of sounds from the paper. Should he keep it? Would he have any reason to need it? Would Niluial take it? Should he even give it to anyone? Should he even make a reason to need it? Dury was certain that was what he was doing, if he planned to continue on this path. It was a path of resisting the law of some very powerful people. That would create a need for his letter. But, was there some other way the letter could reach his Mirda?

Dury had believed Niluial to be an excellent choice to insure the safety of the letter. Even these Shirrifs wouldn't harm a young woman...would they? Dury shivered a moment, glancing at the man he had just helped tie up. Perhaps...but, it was still his best chance. He could hope, at least. O, but that had become a familiar thing: hoping when all reasoning failed. Still, it all failed to raise his spirits.

Dury shifted on his feet, making a crinkling noise with the paper one last time before shuffling toward where Niluial stood talking to Josh. But should I interrupt them... Dury yelled at his own thoughts. Making excuses! Now, after all of that thinking?

"Er...Ni...Niluial?" The young hobbit lass turned to him from Josh, and Dury hurriedly made an apology for interrupting. His mind still told him his shouldn't have done so. "Could I ask you something?" There, no more stuttering. "A favor?"

For a moment Niluial looked at him strangely, obviously wondering what Dury could be talking about, asking a favor. But after a moment she said, "Yes, of course, Dury."

Dury immediately pulled her away from Josh a ways, anxious to get this over with while he had the voice. And the strength. "I was just wondering..." He paused to glance around nervously. "I was wondering if you would...would take this to my wife," he said slowly, carefully, and taking out the paper. Niluial received it with a look of wonder on her face. "But..what could you...?" Niluial stopped, and he mouth formed the shape of an 'o.' "Dury!" she pratically screeched. "You couldn't possibly think...You aren't that...It's outrageous!"

It was Dury's turn to look surprised. Of all the things he had expected...Niluial looked so...concerned. "I just...It just...I...It really would make me feel better. More at ease." He paused, not sure what to say, and Niluial opened her mouth to speak once more. Quickly, Dury found words to say. "Please, Niluial, for my peace of mind, do it! I doubt it will be needed, but I need to calm myself and continue with our...work."

Niluial sighed. "I doubt that you doubt that, but...if you truly need this..." She paused to look him in sternly the eyes. "Dury, try to doubt, not just hope." She smiled suddenly, though it was twinged with sadness. "Because you had best not leave poor Mirda with three little 'uns!"

All Dury could do was mirror Niluial's smile. "Thank you, Niluial. Thank you dearly." And it seemed enough.