View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 11:52 PM   #20
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Adeline stood on the chair adjusting the crimson dress as her mother pinned the hem.
"Must I always be your model, Mother?" she asked impatiently.
"Who else would I ask but dear daughter to try on the dresses I make?" the middle-aged woman replied, half smiling as pins stuck out from her mouth.
"Perhaps the customer whom you are making it for?"
"She couldn't make it today. Too busy with her studies, apparently. But there's really no need to bring Lael in. You're exactly her size, you know."
Adeline rolled her eyes. "Don't remind me."
Her mother sighed, inserting the last pin. "Yes, I know you don't like that girl, Adeline, but I'm sure she end up being a better friend than those boys. Why don't you give her a chance?" She took her daughter's hand, helping her off the chair.
"Because," Adeline replied, stepping down, "I don't waste my time with conceited girls like Lael Morston."
"Instead, you waste your time in pubs with boys, like tonight."
"I was not wasting my time," Adeline argued, as she pulled off the silk dress. "It was important converstation we were having."
"Important?"
"Yes," Adeline bent down as her mother unlaced her corset.

Her mind thought back to everything Devon had told her, Callath, and Calnan earlier that day. The news of Jythralo Doran's scheme had not been surprising really; she never did trust the man. But the fact that Devon had been seen alarmed Adeline. She knew that Doran was more clever than to mistaken Devon for a pickpocket. And if indeed this was so, Devon's life was in jeopardy.

"Adeline!" The voice of her mother brought the girl back to attention.
"Hmm?" she mumbled.
"I'm done."
Adeline turned her head towards her mother, giving her a puzzled expression. "What?"
"Your corset," the older woman said irritably.
"Oh," Adeline realized her mother had finished unlacing her corset some time ago and tore it off hurriedly. "Sorry about that," she said, looking apologetic, then glanced over at the clock. "Well, I best be off to bed now. Goodnight, mother." Adeline kissed her mother goodnight before turning towards the stairs.
"Goodnight," the woman replied to her daughter. "And thank you for helping me out. Even though you were out past curfew."
Adeline returned the smile before heading to her bedroom, hesitating slightly. She could not stop thinking about Devon.