View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #37
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
If the Ring could sense the Nazgul, what possible reason could you propose that it could not sense Gandalf? Gandalf actually touched the Ring you must recall, when he threw it into the fire at Bag End. The Ring had to have known that a being of great power set against its master was there (and doing strange things to it to boot).
I agree that the Ring knew about Gandalf, being there when they set out. And maybe the Ring felt the presence of the Balrog when they were in moria. But the presence of Gandalf fell away long before Frodo and Sam reached Mordor, and if the Ring felt his presence, it must have known this as well. I don't believe any of the others were revealed to the Ring after Gandalf fell, except Sam.
However, this brings another question to my mind. If the Ring felt the presence of Gandalf, than he might have felt te presence of Galadriel. The next question is: what about the phial of Galadriel? Does the Ring sence that her power is still with them? If so, what would that do to the Ring's will?
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote