View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 05:08 AM   #19
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, when I asked this question in another thread, it was because I recently read a book about the Hildebrandt calendars of the 1970s (fascinating account of a major piece of creativity, BTW - it's called The Tolkien Years and is by Greg Hildebrandt's son, Gregory). Apparently, the Hildebrandts painted Legolas as fair, but were told by the expert at Ballantine that Legolas should be dark. Not sure where he got that from. I'm glad to know I didn't miss anything! Orlando Bloom in his blonde wig is a lot like MY vision of the character too - and not just his colouring. The way he moved, like a dancer, was so very Elvish and when he jumped from is horse in his first scene it was like a leaf falling to earth...As for Elvish ears, I like to think they're pointed, but I don't think Tolkien ever says so - generally, people recognise Elves by the look in their eyes (not sure how you'd do that, but...). Hobbits, however, do, according to one of Tolkien's letters, where he said they were slightly pointed - sorry, can't tell you which one!