View Single Post
Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #55
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden’s lips parted somewhat in surprise at the rashness of Manawyth's words. Lout and plunderer? In appearance? Eodwine may have spoken more hastily than Thornden would have, but he had a right - at least more of one than this man had.

“Thornden, how would you speak to this man were you in my place?” Eodwine asked.

“Why, lord,” Thornden replied after a pause the length of a breath, “in your place, I would have complete authority to say anything I should like. I know not for sure whether this churl’s ill spoken words have offended you. If they have not, that is all well, but I imagine that if that is the case, you would not have asked me for an answer, but laughed the insult off and replied somehow easily. You asked him a fair question that every man who cares for his property has right to ask. You gave him a chance to answer you fully, without interruption, giving his story. He answered you with a question of his own, adding insults as well. Either he thinks he holds the position of lord here and so imagines that he has the authority to speak thus to any man,” he cast his glance towards the Dunlending briefly, “or he hides something.

“Whichever it may be, he has answered back evasively and haughtily and insulted you to your face, daring your intelligence and authority in your own hall, and has refused to answer your question. Under such circumstances, it may be well if pity withdraws, and you send him from you. For if you would let him stay - what would come of it? Would harsh feelings, hatred and anger consistently dwell within these walls? Dark, heavy silence between the two of you, and coldness whenever either is present? It would not do, unless both of you were willing to forget the past quarrels between the races and he be willing to dwell under your lordship and authority.

“Thus would I answer him, then, my lord. But some of the weight lies also on your shoulders - that you will be able to forget where he comes from and not hate him for his race.” He turned his eyes again towards Manawyth. “Ask him again what his past is and if he is fully honest with you, make your decision. You have given others a chance to stay and prove themselves. His case must be desperate to have come so far from his homeland. Perhaps he is willing to take back hasty and thoughtless words.”

‘You are a fool, Thornden,’ he told himself, after he had finished his speech. ‘None of that will ever work. Why did you not tell Eodwine that had you been he, you would have thrown the man out as soon as such words passed his lips in your hall?’ Inwardly, he smiled mockingly at himself. ‘Because such thoughts are not always best. If this will work, it will be far better than to turn the man out. . .and that may yet be what happens.’