View Single Post
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #26
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
It was all the way in the north of Beleriand. Mordor is in the southeast of Middle-earth! If the aftereffects of the Breaking were that powerful, then almost all of Middle-earth should have been devastated.
A reasonable assessment of that cataclysmic event would say that it was. The rapid submerging of one million square miles is going to have its impact on a continent.

Quote:
As for the Inland Sea of Helcar theory, it just might work. I'm sure that most of you are familiar with plate tectonics. I am assuming that Middle-earth was geologically built the same as our Earth. The plate underneath the Inland Sea of Helcar could have been moving against the surrounding plates, causing them to buckle. The same convergent action has caused the Andes Mtns. in South America. The buckling could have also caused rifts to open up underneath the Sea, effectively draining it. What is left is a crater-like depression, Mordor.
And how else do you explain this sudden shift except for the breaking of Thangorodrim? In the ordinary course of things geologic plates do not move that fast. So, I'm asking, what else could have caused it? It was not there before the fall of Thangorodrim and it was after.