Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #70
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerfh View Post
EXACTLY!!! When I read the casting call about Itaril falling in love with a young elf-lord, all I could picture was the screaming adolescent Twilight fangirls. *puts finger down throat*

If they reduce a part of the GREATEST FANTASY CANON EVER WRITTEN to that level, I'm sending some people to see ol' Mandos. If it's absolutely necessary to have a romance in the movies, cheat on the chronology a little and put in how Arwen and Aragorn met. Anything would be better...And if they're looking for side-plot material, there's plenty of stuff to fill up space: Smaug's attack on the dwarves, the dwarves' war with the goblins, the White Council, Sauron in Dol-Guldur, Gollum's capture by Gandalf afterwards...I could go on.

I've created a page on Facebook, and maybe if enough people join it will send a message to PJ and company:
www.facebook.com/Hobbit.Fans.Against.Itaril
everyone join if you want Itaril cut out!
After watching the latest Hobbitin5 video, they are adding in the bit with the White Council, which should be interesting to see.

My views on Itaril are neutral now. I mean, as long as PJ doesn't twist and mangle the main plot-line violently, tossing her in doesn't bother me as much as it did before. As of yet, I don't think Orlie will be in the movie (which we all know he's the young elf-lord, who else? Then again, it could be one of the twin sons...you never know, PJ would do it), so I don't think it will focus too much on that. Bard the Bowman is too much of a main character to give his role away to someone else (IE Glorfindel's role was given to Arwen in the movies, in which PJ did that simply for the romance of Arwen and Aragorn*). Concerning Glorfindel's role, WE know as fans of the book-verse that his role is important, but the main thing I think PJ saw was that it was small.

If memory serves me correct, Glorfindel at the request of Lord Elrond, rode out to help Frodo reach Rivendell (I've not made it far after this in re-reading the series, so if I'm wrong someone please re-freshen my memory). A role as small as that (no matter the importance of the person) can be given away to another character. I'm not saying it was okay and that it should have been given away, because personally I don't understand PJ casting someone as Glorfindel in the movies and NOT giving that person their rightful role in the first place. The main reason, no doubt, was for the romance. Bard the Bowman, however, plays a bigger role in the Hobbit.

At least someone was brave enough to bring this wonderful world alive for us; it's definitely not easy. Sure, they could be a bit more correct with certain scenes, but the thing that counts is that at least WE know what really happened.

* My assumption

Edit: I'm uncertain, after re-reading my post, that the twin sons possibly wasn't even born at the time (though I think they may have been, the Hobbit began 55 -?- years before the Lord of the Rings and the Twin Sons were born in 130 TA)
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 04-10-2011 at 08:10 PM.
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote