View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #52
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim
Point of Order: Frodo never actually forgives Gollum he says that he pities him.
But he does.

Quote:
'Yes,' said Frodo. 'But do you remember Gandalf's words: Even Gollum may have something yet to do? But for him, Sam, I could not have destroyed the Ring. The Quest would have been in vain, even at the bitter end. So let us forgive him! For the Quest is achieved, and now all is over. I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.'
My take on Frodo's words is that he has already forgiven Gollum, & is asking Sam to join him in that forgiveness.

On Bethberry's point re the Harrowing of Hell. In the pre-Christian religions we have the descent into the UnderWorld for initiation, to meet with the Ancestors, etc. Its the old womb/tomb thing. The dead are placed in the earth, in the womb of the Mother, to await re-birth, & passing within the earth & emerging was a symbolic rebirth. The early Christians adapted these old ideas, as they did with so many 'Pagan' practices - anyone who thinks that the Christian places of worship found in the Roman catacombs were purely a consequence of persecution & a need for secrecy is missing something.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote