View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 08:40 AM   #394
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots I demur, and not in the archaic sense

As I missed the crucial component of your quiz, which you have now answered in such a grandly Tolkien manner, I rather think, Professor Hedgethistle, that the floor should still belong to you.

*bows courteously and withdraws to await Fordim's next quiz*

As it so happens, I too, had the priviledge of meeting an Old English scholar taught by Tolkien. And when he was plied with beer at a pub following his public lecture, he mischievously embarked upon a tale of how one kept two bibliographies, one to satisfy the academic requirements and one to keep track of the kinds of things which really inspired one. I always felt he was engaging in the kind of "secret vice" which Tolkien was, keeping one's own wordhoard of inspirational texts. When one's life is so seemingly dreary and mundane on the surface, one must resort to such imaginative play. And they say academics have no sense of humour.