View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 09:05 PM   #631
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Raefindan

"Tell me," said Maigeleb as they trudged through the snow ever southwards, "what is this thing called hypnotism?" The Elf walked ahead of him, as usual.

Raefindan had been aware that the swamp Elf had been sifting through his mind most of the time he had been with him, and it had been so this day as well. There was no use fighting it. He had tried and only became weary and easier prey to deeper probing. Better to be used like an encyclopedia than a psych patient. Raefindan had found that he could view that which the Elf sifted, and in this way had become reacquainted with much that he had forgotten. He knew now who he was, where he came from, and the last thing he remembered from before having arrived before the gates of Minas Tirith ... however that had happened!

"You don't need to ask, you can look in my head and see for yourself."

"Such ire! It does not become you, Roy Edwards."

"I suppose that you would be more friendly to someone who invaded your brain?"

"Invaded, hmm." Roy watched images of invasion file through his mind. "Ah. I see. Please do not think of yourself as my prisoner, Roy Edwards, but as my .... how was it? .... aide. Yes, that was the strange word. My assistant. That was it."

"I'm your captive and you use me as you will."

"You are so .... hmm ... irascible! Such an apt expression. It has the meaning right in the sound of it, does it not?" Roy did not respond. "But about hypnotism. It is not unlike osanwe, except that the one holds the other's will in hand. But surely there must be a better way to bring it into being than having the .... patient, I think you call him, be a willing party. There must be something in osanwe that would make this work."

"So you'v'e given up on the rifle production?"

"I gave thought to it, but I would not murder the land, as your kind have done, and this hypnotism seems so much more ... you have a word for it that seems so appropriate .... elegant. Yes, that is the word. Amost Elvish, it sounds in your barbaric tongue."

Roy shook his head, wondering if there was some way he could get away from this Elf, and if there was some way he could spare Middle Earth of his presence and get back home.

"No, I will not allow it," Maegeleb said. "You are too valuable to me."

There might be another way, Roy thought.

"The moment I am aware that you intend to end your life, I will stop you. So think no more of escape."

Roy sighed and wondered how the others fared.