View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #60
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavanna II
Entrophy, my dears. It's a universal law, and it (I think) applies to Tolkien's world as well. But that doesn't mean there's always a defeat of hope, because if there is, then ME and Arda would have been destroyed beyond repair.
Isn't it so, that order and organisation can be introduced into any system if it comes from outside it, and if there is no outside force to create order then everything will go towards disorder? (The original law, if I recollect it right, says something like that the differences will smooth down and thrive towards being even)

So the outer forces from the point of view of ME have been all the time backing the order (t)here: the Valar, the Maiar and even the elves in their own way. Now they are leaving it all to us humans in the end of the stories.

So we humans can still affect things outside ourselves, eg. molding stone into beautifully organised patterns like statues or great architecture, bringing sounds together to make organised music and whatever. But there is no force any more to hold us humans in balance or order? So how long can we fight this alone?

If one looks at different myths from around the world, there seems to be a recurrent theme where people are created to fight alongside gods to defeat disorder or chaos (the Northern legends, the Babylonians, somewhat the Bible or the Indian Veda's too) or there is a strong emphasis on the importance of balance / order, like in Asian world-views etc. Maybe we humans have the hope (coming back to my theme) then anyhow? Can we sustain the order of things against the natural law of chaos gaining ground everywhere? With the law of entropy, we are forced to fight against it every minute as we are without the help from beyond our system, now as all the forces that might help us have withdrawn!

Isn't this the most tragic thing in the books?

Or are these just old-time "religious" views of the world that do not appreciate the fact that we humans have made all the order and happiness ourselves in the first place?

Or is the tragedy in there as we can't know, which one of the answers is the right one?
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote