View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #49
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
from WCH

Quote:
The ninnies who vote for Oscars, and still less the unwashed hordes of mouthbreathing troglodytes who pack multiplexes, are utterly, completely irrelevant as evidence or ratification of artistic success.
William, do you think your comments have just the slightest tinge of superiority about them? They certainly strike me that way.

I believe that the "ninnies who vote for Oscars" are professionals who have devoted their careers and lives to the business and art of film.

The common folk that you so harshly describe are the same people who keep society functioning by going to work each day, paying their taxes, raising their families and providing goods for our pantries. Without them, there would be no movies.... or books for that matter other than the occassional manuscript that is seen by very few. Sounds like the good old days of the Dark Ages.

What is interesting about the LOTR films is that they were a rousing success from all three segments of the way we normally measure a films success: Professional critics generally gave them glowing reviews, the public responded with $4 billion dollars US, and thier peers in the business showered them with awards of excellence. Normally at least one of those categories precludes or negates the other one or two.

I am in my late 50's and have been following film closely for some 45 years now and have never seen anything like that before. I wonder if you appreciate the rarity of that convergence?
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote