View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė View Post
I only saw Alien for the first time two years ago. It just didn't appeal. davem made me watch it and I found it funny. Aliens made me feel a bit sick though.
Now that is what I call missing something big in your life

But interesting - I would have expected it to be the other way around...

And I have, for instance, no idea who are the three people you are talking about. Okay, the first name I have vague idea (because of youtube adverts) and the last one sounds like I might have heard it somewhere, but no clue. If you told me they are members of British government, I would have believed you.

But in a way, I think it is nice that one can remain "unspoiled" by stuff in such a way. Because once you then really start, for example, reading LotR, you still have all the plot twists uncovered and you really have no idea what is going to happen. You might not even know the most "basic" things - like what happens to the Ring, who survives (if anyone), etc.

Reminds me of the time when my aunt started reading the books for the first time, she was borrowing them from me (me being around maybe 14-15 at that time), and she was absolutely terrified at the end of the second book, wishing to borrow RotK immediately because she had no idea what was going to happen to Sam or Frodo. (And yet she had to wait for it through the whole Pelennor stuff...)

I think we who have read the books and discussed them through and through sometimes really should confront ourselves with some Mark who will open our eyes again to the "naive reading" of it.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote