View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #199
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Avanill

Avanill was quiet as both he and Barrold had left Naiore in the woods in the growing dark.

“Now where is that little rat run off to.” Barrold growled striding several paces being Avanill who kept up a steady stride. Avanill took his time in answering. His mind was filled with his own thoughts. This is going to get worse before the end, he thought,I can see it
He stopped and turned to Barrold abruptly.

“My guess is that he has gone to the rangers.” he said in his trademark cool steady voice, “If we go to him now, im certain that we will get caught. Or besides that, he had surely told them of us by now.” It seemed now to Barrold that Avanill had evolved again somewhat, but this only meant that his mind was made up, Avanill had another plan brewing in his head,

“Whats Naiore going to say? What’s she going to do to us? We áve to kill the little brute now.”said Barrold hitting a tree with his knife. He clearly was not too happy, and he was not reassured by Avanill’s now brooding mood.

“Yes” said Avanill “We will have to kill him. But not before Naiore has her chance to do something about it.”

“Boyo, that’s why she sent us”Barrold remarked looking him in the eye, “Is you allright Boy? You seem-”

“Disturbed? Indeed my friend, im not facing a positive outlook on the events which seem imposing to us, if only there was some way of knowing.” Avanill began walking again but now he was looking at the canopy of the trees. He thought it was best that he did not reveal the bulk of his plans to Barrold, after all, Avanill was and always had been a one man show, he had gotten himself out of worse situations before. not much worse mind you

he reminded himself. Now he turned back to Barrold who was beginning to become weary of him “Heres what im thinking, If we follow Toby, we walk to our deaths, understand. I think that either we tell Naiore that we Killed the little hobbit, or we found him hanging by the neck in the woods, or that the rangers had him and we didn’t want to go after him.”

Barrold was shocked, “What and go back and say “look sorry Your Ladyship, but we couldn’t be bothered to recover the hobbit lad from the rangers“, even though we have killed more people between us than probably any company of rangers. No thanks Boy, but I would leave that news to you.”

“Speak for yourself Barrold, I only kill those who owe me and don’t pay, in a way I am cleansing the county of criminals and cheats. Im an honest man Barrold, as hard as it is for you to believe, and im a gentleman. Either way Id rather go back and tell Naiore, because im pretty sure that if she tried an attack of arms id be able to kill her myself , but she had her elf magic, she used it on Vanwe a while back. Id rather die than have that used on me Barrold, theres too many people I need to protect.”

“Well, you sure helped me murder Tallas in a hurry.”said Barrold intently, which caused Avanill to snap and turn sharply to face him, his eyes still cool and as cold as his voice.

“That was different Barrold, that was not supposed to happen. Something happened to me when-” Avanill hesitated.

“When he mentioned your father,”finished Barrold.

“Let me tell you why it’s set me off, the mention of that vile man makes me mad, no matter who it is who mention’s it. Your just lucky I did not harm you. Let me tell you story Barrold, it’s a story about a young woman, she happened to be a trader, who married bandit she thought she was in love with. He made her betray her ranger brothers to him and he killed them This man took her band of faithful followers from her and then he told her to go. With no family, no home, nothing! He was going abandoned her, but she was strong And in front of his men she killed him, for her honour, for her brothers, for her future and for the baby he never knew she was having. That noble woman was my mother, and I rue the day that man was born.” Avanill was now in the same dark mood which he had been in after he had killed Tallas. “That man Tallas just said the wrong thing, had he said nothing, he would have lived.

“Nobility boy, ain suiting to people like us, it’s the prize that makes us determined, Not the spirit of it, remember that.” Avanill was surprised to see a rare moment of wisdom in his words. Avanill nodded.

His mind was now made up. He would abandon their little femme fatale, Naiore to her doom, which he knew was coming sooner than later, and leave Barrold to what ever side he should choose to be on when the time came. He had survived these years because he was smart, after all, it was a trademark of his house. In his mind he scanned the interior of his bag, there were seven different concoctions which he had made the week before, sleeping draughts, temporary paralysis, fatal poision, one which made the drinker go blind, and two different kinds of potion which came in powder form and poisoned the victim’s blood. Avanill did not want to kill Barrold, that would be too low.

“Barrold” he said slowing down. “I need a drink, let’s stop for a while. Now I look at you, you look as though you could use one too.” Barrold seemed relieved that it was Avanill who had said it and put down his things beside a tree.

"Lets see what youve got then Avanill."he said

"Whiskey, Its one from my grandmother's Inn, very tasty, a little different though if you ask me."he said taking a small phial of the paralisis potion and mixing it into the alcohol. He offered it to Barrold who took it without question.

"It does taste strange Boyo, not wrong there, arent you going -"Barrold stopped dead and fell to the floor. The potion had kicked in. Avanill bent down to survey him.

"Im sorry about this Barrold, I really am, but im not going to be dragged down with the rest of you when the end comes. Im just not going to let that happen. This is only temporary, so your not going to die. Im telling you now, that you wont find me when im gone, it's what i do best, understand? You can tell Naiore that i dont want any part of this anymore, but you can also tell that manifestation of evil that sdhe need not worry about me telling people of her wearabouts or of you even. You can have my share of her money and riches now, and Vanwe, heaven forbid you will treat her well should you get out of this. Very deep down Barrold, you can be a good man, if you'd only try. I hope we meet again some day."He started to gather up his things with the motionless Barrold sitting silently beside him. "You only have to stay like that for around half and hour, by then ill be long gone."he started walking away when somehting stopped him in his trackes,

“And just you remember Barrold, don’t think of me towards the end, ill be thinking of myself, right?” he was still cool as ever, but a slight smile was caught upon his face.

~My lord, Éomer~

Last edited by piosenniel; 03-12-2004 at 04:00 PM.