View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 10:05 PM   #325
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Uien returned to the stable markedly cleaner than she had left it. Hair freshly washed, dried and combed and most of the damage to her dress washed out (that which could be washed out), she looked in on Derufin before returning to the inn. She found him still carving happily. Uien stood silent, watching for a moment. Derufin seemed happy. It was a shame to disturb him, still she fancied Cook would even have an inch of Derufin's hide if he missed a meal.

"Derufin," Uien said in a gentle voice. He frowned at what he was working on. Uien could see clean lines emerging already. It was an intricate piece of work, astonishing.
"I am sorry to trouble you, m'Lord," she continued on playfully, "but it is lunch and better me disturb you than Cook find you with one of her mixing spoons." Uien smiled at the stablemaster.

Derufin brushed some recently loosened wood shavings away absently and returned her smile. "No trouble," he replied easily, stretching his fingers from the work they had been doing for the past hours. Uien nodded at him.

"An intriguing piece, if you do not mind me saying. Far more advanced than the childish work I pass off. I would very much like to see it when it is finished," she said as Derufin glanced back down at his work. Uien then took a step back out the door and Derufin rose, setting the carving aside.

"I would very much like to see it when it is finished too," he said as he walked towards his door. Uien puzzled over that, not entirely sure what he meant. Afterall, surely he knew what it would look like already. As they walked up the front steps, Derufin glanced at the garden's newly turned earth and weed free borders.

"Someone has been busy," he commented. Uien nodded. "Yes, and I'll make a start on the vegetable garden after lunch, provided Mrs Bunce gives me her permission," she said cautiously. The idea of wading into Cook's garden without permission was not a pleasant one. Derufin chuckled as walked through the Inn door.

"Wise," is all he said. Standing at the counter was the woman in question. Mrs Bunce stood with her arms crossed before Falowik. Uien paused, uncertain as to what passed. Falowik did not look entirely comfortable. Cook glanced at Derufin as he entered, Uien trailing behind him.

"Ah, Stablemaster Derufin," she said using his proper title. Derufin looked somewhat cautious himself at that. "I have someone who may be able to help you with preparations for the upcoming vistors." Derufin seemed puzzled as he moved closer to where Cook and Falowik stood.

"Beren has already fixed the stable roof," he started. Cook dismissed that with a wave of her hand. Uien watched on closely all that unfolded.

"What do I care for the stable roof when my attic roof is still leaking," she said sternly. "Falowik is looking for some work." Cook glanced in askance at Uien, who was inexplicably hovering by Derufin's elbow, gazing at Falowik. Derufin crossed his arms and considered the matter. Cook, her work on that done, moved onto the next order of business.

"And here she finally is. Just where have you been, Uien? Second Breakfast finished over an hour ago." Before Uien could open her mouth in protest, the unstoppable Mrs Bunce had hold of her elbow and was carting her away.

"Come, come! I can't you have fainting away in the middle of the lunch rush. Elf maidens cluttering up the floor will put our customers off their food. I won't stand for it." Cook pushed her firmly in the direction of the kitchen, propelling Uien towards the doors. Uien managed to stop with grace prior to shooting through them. She turned to look back to where Derufin and Falowik stood.

"Go on, Miss! Shoo!" Cook waved her hands at her. Uien shot a hapless smile and a nod at Derufin, the only way to get her thoughts on the matter the Stablemaster considered to him from across the room. When her gaze shifted to Falowik, her smile became shy.

"Quickly now Uien," Cook said in an exasperated voice. Uien acquiesed and the kitchen doors closed behind her as Cook shook her head. "Honestly, I don't know what's gotten into the girl today." The fact that Uien was by no means a girl, even by her own people's measures, did not seem to make a whit of difference to Mrs Bunce.

In the kitchens, Uien darted about between the Hobbits, gathering food, plates and odds and ends to bring back out. It was another way she could make amends. If Derufin took him on, and that was what Falowik wished, then she could perhaps bring lunch to him.

Small kindnesses such things were, but in a large world that can be cold, small kindnesses were not so small. So the tray was laden with bread, cheeses, fruit, cold meat and all the accoutrements that accompany lunch. As she gathered, Uien's smile grew. Falowik was staying a little, and that made her glader than anything.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight