View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 03:07 AM   #327
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

‘The woman is a born organizer,’ said Derufin, nodding in the direction of Cook as she sailed through the doors of the kitchen, Uien in tow. ‘Come, sit with me for a while, if you will. Cook is determined that you should be “found useful”, and suggested in her inevitably direct way that the Inn’s roof needs patching up and reshingling.’ He looked at Falowik, trying to get a read on what the man was thinking.

Ruby passed by with a flagon of nut brown ale and plunked two mugs down in front of them. Derufin waved her off, saying he needed a clear head for the afternoon, and could she bring him a mug of cool cider instead. He leaned back in his chair, stretching out his long legs in front of him, crossing them at the ankle beneath the table. ‘To be honest, I could use the help if you are going to be around over the next week,’ he began, his eyes catching sight of Uien as she struggled through the kitchen door with a platter piled high with food. ‘Excuse me,’ he said, standing up. ‘I see a friend in need of assistance.’

So focused was she on transporting the platter of food safely, that she did not see Derufin as he approached. ‘Are we expecting an onslaught of hungry dragons?’ he asked, winking at her as he took the tray from her slender hands. Startled, she looked at him, her face turning a fetching shade of pink.

‘Won’t you sit with us, Uien?’ His words coaxed her along to the table where Falowik sat. ‘Master Falowik is thinking over the offer I’ve put to him. The Inn roof does need shingling, and some of the supports beneath it need to be replaced, I think. It’s the eastern end of it, over the attic. Guests are coming next week. And it won’t do to have them exposed to the elements.’ He sat the platter of foodstuffs in the center of the table, and pulled out the chair for Uien, bidding her take her seat.

‘You might as well relent, and say you’ll do it,’ he said, turning back to Falowik. ‘Cook will hound us both 'til it’s done to her satisfaction.’ He leaned toward Uien, offering her the plate first. ‘And you, you’re nimble and sure footed – how about being the roofer’s assistant. Two pair of hands will make the work go more quickly . . .’