View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Leaf
Haunting Spirit

Leaf is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Interessing thoughts, Inziladun and Zigūr. The vanishing of the Morgul blade fits well into that theme. Like orcs, trolls and the ringwraiths themselves (to a certain extend) it can't stand the light of the sun. Whilst thinking about this duality a certain passage of text came to my mind:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring, Many Meetings
Gandalf moved his chair to the bedside and took a good look at Frodo. The colour had come back to his face, and his eyes were clear, and fully awake and aware. He was smiling, and there seemed to be little wrong with him. But to the wizard’s eye there was a faint change, just a hint as it were of transparency, about him, and especially about the left hand that lay outside upon the coverlet. »Still that must be expected,« said Gandalf to himself. »He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.«
Here we get an impression of the long-term effects which were caused by the Morgul blade's splinter. Frodo went though a great deal of change because the Morgul wound was inflicted on him. He developed an aura and seems to become like a glass filled with a clear light.

It seems to me that the Morgul blade did indeed 'wraithify' (nice neologism, Pitchwife) Frodo, but on the polarised end of the spectrum (where folks like Glorfindel like to hang out).

Last edited by Leaf; 09-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote