View Single Post
Old 02-27-2003, 08:05 PM   #114
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
What if Sauron were vanquished but the Ring yet existed? Would it be impossible to complete destroy him without destroying the Ring?
Isn't that what happened at the Last Alliance? Sauron was defeated and, had Isildur cast the Ring into Mount Doom, he would have been destroyed. But Isildur didn't, so Sauron lived on and slowly regained his strength to the stage where he could start looking for the Ring.

Quote:
And a follow up question:
If Gollum had lived through it, would he get to sail to Valinor with the rest of the Ringbearer gang?
Interesting question, Tar-Palantir. I suppose it would depend whether he repented his past deeds or not. If not, I wouldn't see him being accepted into Valinor. But, if he did, why not? Perhaps they should have set up a refuge for recovering Ring addicts on Tol Eressea. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I think it was said somewhere that Gandalf could have become worse than Sauron had he taken the ring (I think, but I'm not really sure). So it would be similar with Galadriel, but even if her will was weaker than Sauron's, her will still would be too great for Sauron to harness.
Your probably right about Gandalf, Willie. But he was a Maia, like Sauron. And I believe that, in his Maia form, he was equal in power to Sauron, if not more powerful. So he, with the Ring, would have been more than a match for Sauron and for Sauron's will working through the Ring. So, perhaps would have become a Dark Lord in his own right. Might the same be said of Saruman, had he succeded in bringing the Ring to Isengard? He portrays himself to Sauron as an ally, but he no doubt had designs of his own.

But Galadriel was an Elf, albeit a powerful one, and I would speculate therefore that she would not have been able to resist the evil will of the Ring. I agree with Tar-Palantir on this:

Quote:
They are one, the Ring and the Dark Lord. I think eventually and inevitably. Perhaps the power of the Ring she may have mastered, but the will of the Ring (which is what is giving us the most problem in understanding) would have worked on her mind ceaselessly ...
And now the thread moves inexporably to the subject of free will ...

Quote:
This brings up the topic of free will which I don't think has been explored enough. Then again, it's been some time since I read the original posts.
Now, where's Bill when you need him ... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]