View Single Post
Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 PM   #84
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I guess my only comment there is to wonder what constitutes "good"? That'll be up to the individual.

My belief is that they won't be able to stop themselves "modernizing" the story universe in the name of political correctness, or adding/subtracting characters undreamt of by Tolkien in order to "appeal to everyone". Movie Arwen, Tauriel, shield-surfing teen-idol Legolas, "funny", "eccentric' old Radagast- none of that gives hope for anything I'm going to be able to look at without rolling my eyes and switching off.
Thing is, if they just take Tolkien elements and go off to spin their own story, like the Sherlock series, I probably wouldn't mind. It would be separate enough to be "based on" rather than a "true film adaptation" of Tolkien. And then sure, spin whatever you want as long as it's a good story and you admit it's not following the book. The thing that bugs me most is the compensated version, where they feel they have to change something, but not significantly enough to make it its own independent story, so the story ends up being stupid and they frantically vow it's all true Tolkien appendices.