MEDIEVAL RESOURCES

General References

From Ransom

An site with some information on Medieval Europe is:

Mostly Medieval

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Occupations

from Aylwen Dreamsong

Medieval Occupations, so you can pick cool/different occupations for characters...

---------------

Agriculture

from The X Phial

In researching for my role as the miller I came across a wonderful article and calendar of the agricultural schedule in medieval Europe. Anyone wanting to play a farmer or know the appropriate activities on a farm or what food would be available at any particular time of year would get a lot out of this link.

The Medieval Agricultural Year

You can even skip the article on top and scroll down to the calendar, though I found the article both entertaining and very helpful.

---------------

Clothing

from Ransom

Where would your hero be if he/she had to hop about barefoot? This site will teach you all about footware in the Middle Ages.

From Bęthberry

Clothing! I haven't yet found anything on Iron Age clothing, but here's some medieval vocabulary.

Vocabulary for Medieval Clothing

Fighting Techniques/Arms & Armour

From Pio

Here is an excellent resource, thanks to Bill Ferny, for arms and armor of the early medieval period:

Spears

Scramseaxe

axe

missile weapons

swords

mail armor

helmets

shields

--------------

From Genandra of Mirkwood

Medieval Close-Fighting Techniques

--------------

From Pio

Medieval martial arts HERE.

Food and Drink

Medieval Brewing and Winemaking

--------------

From Envinyatar

Methods of medieval food preparation:

TYPES OF COOKING

----------

from Ransom

This site contains various Midieval recepies as well as suggestions for meals. It even has a list of foods not used in Midieval times.

Medicine/Herbalism

from Ransom

Here's a few assorted links about herbal remedies. Note: I can't attest to the effectiveness of any of these treatments, and recommend the miracles of modern medicine for serious problems. ^_^

Earthbow has assistance for everything from arthritus to insomnia.

For the would-be (or successful) poisoners...

eMedicine's Toxology section has a good discription of poisons and treatment. A tad bit technical, but extremely useful.

Cornell University has a database of poisonous plants. (Primarily poisonous to animals, but includes stuff that hurts/kills humans.) A lot of pictures too.

Some more info about Medieval medicine.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cleaning Products

HERE

Games

From Pio

A link to:

Medieval and Renaissance Games

Scene depictions: Tapestries

Thought of another resource- more than once in MUSHing, I've been helped by looking at pictures of medieval tapestries. I think the visual element really helps in picturing in your mind what a ceremony or battle might realistically look like. The link below is the Bayeux tapestry which has all kinds of war scenes:

Bayeux war tapestry

--------------

From The Barrow Wight

I was fascinated by the Bayeux Tapestry link, but wanted to find bigger pictures. Well, look:

HERE

--------------

From Bęthberry

Medieval and Renaissance Tapestries

Fiction references

Sigrid Unset's novels set in the Middle Ages have also helped me to visualize the society of Middle Earth and are great reading to boot. People (women, probably [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) who think Tolkien skimped on love stories or told them without enough passion might understand why by reading a medieval love story. Still passionate, but definitely not Hollywood.

Kristin Lavransdatter

----------------

Medieval/Renaissance Theater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_theatre

http://novaonline.nvcc.edu/eli/spd130et/medieval.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English...ssance_theatre

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-26-2015 at 04:01 PM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote