View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 03:18 PM   #134
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

(Sorry, I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but have read most of them. I hope to contribute more later, but I want to start with: )

Aragorn - I agree with despising the movies' reluctant character. I have other issues with movie-gorn.

The books portray him as dark and grim. Wise in old lore, strong in character, thinking, meditating. Crafty in woodcraft, knowing trails, knowing very well the movements, techniques, and thinking of any and all of his enemies at all times. In command! Confident, yet humble.

In the movie version, I do not get the confidence or grimness. Nor the strength. Especially Mortenson's voice. It is too weak and thin to me. Where are the broad shoulders?

The actor who portrayed Aragorn in the BBC Radio Adaptation of LotR, Robert Stephens, had an excellent voice conveying the depth of wisdom, character, and strength of Tolkien's Aragorn.

(I wish I could do justice to my opinion with book quotes, etc., but no time.)

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Theron Bugtussle ]