View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #235
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Degas was torn now between reactions. At another time, he would swing Lčodern into his arms and ask her many questions, listening delightedly as she responded at full speed and with many irrelevant details. His first thoughts at her arrival were that -- was it possible she could have grown so much in so short a time? -- he wanted to sing her a song he had written for her; and also his heart ached for Linduial, who had become fast friends with the little girl. Lin, who was with the beautiful queen, who Degas had not yet stopped to see. When, he wondered, could he see her? Before he saw his own lands? Before he measured the damage with his own eyes? Could he in good conscience ride to Edoras before leaving for the Folde, to see his betrothed, to speak his mind to her and seek her advice? Would she ride with him?

And what would her reaction be? Where they would live had been uncertain: as liason to the king and queen, they would need to be in Edoras; Lotherial had made it clear that appropriate lodgings would be available for her dear young cousin. But married, with a small family? Degas wanted to bring Lin home with him, to raise children where he was raised. To teach boys to play in the lofts of the stables, and to show them how to be men the way his father had taught him. Except he wouldn't leave them. He would not die before they were ready to live without him. But would Lin be happy there? The child-bearing wife of the lord of a modest set of lands, with a village at which many strangers stopped between Edoras and Gondor. Would she be content to live at Degas's home, now that he had one?

"Saeryn," he said slowly, his mind returning to the moment, "I would like you to tell me what transpired, so that I may return to the Folde with an understanding of what I must do for our people. I am lothe to return uninformed to meet people who ask me the very questions you did. You were right: I will not be welcomed with open arms, with weeping old women and stiff lipped men. I will be viewed with suspicion, and with, perhaps, anger. I have been distant, and then I have been absent. They do not know me. I do not know what resentment I must placate. The very least I can do is return with the truth of the events clear in my mind, with a plan at least beginning to form."

"Degas, you are not staying?" asked Lčodern sadly, eyes wide.

"No, most beautiful lady," he responded, kneeling, "Do you see how the buildings here have been hurt, and the land is sad, and your father and all others must work very hard to make this place a happy one again?"

She nodded.

"My home is sad too. I must go and help build beds to sleep in, and roofs to keep out rain. I must help cook and clean, and I must make many new friends."

"You have friends here," she said simply.

Degas looked up, and saw Eodwine watching, and Saeryn's sad eyes, and Frodidas listening from across the kitchen. Not far away, he heard Nain's voice, and that of Kara. He was fond of Kara. He would miss her friendly face when he left.

"And I will come to visit my friends here. I hope very much that my friend Eodwine will think someday of me as family, as I do him, and that we shall visit each other as brothers would, and speak as freely."

At that moment, Degas resolved to speak with Garstan. Perhaps it would be possible for Lčodern to be brought under the tutelage and care of Linduial. It was not unheard of for children to be raised amongst others, where they could learn new skills and help to develop friendships where before there was nothing. Lčodern would be well tended, and educated, and Linduial adored her as he did. It would be well to give Lin projects for her minds and her emotions, and perhaps the experience would teach Linduial much about motherhood. It would be a great comfort to Degas to have Lčodern's pretty face smiling amidst the sorrow he expected to find at a home he had not seen in many years.