View Single Post
Old 01-12-2003, 11:14 AM   #11
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Actually, Elanor, In the book Legolas was described as having "a long, white knife". Granted, He does use it at Helms Deep after all his arrows are "spent".

The question of whether Legolas was at the Battle of five Armies is an interesting one, but one for which there is not answer.

Thranduil Probablly woudn't have even gone himself and just left Legolas to deal with it if it weren't for all the riches that were at stake; after all he was described as being less in riches as his predecessors and having a greed for riches.It was not an "all-out war", just a Battle. In fact, Thranduil's purpose was not origionally to fight the Goblins and Wargs but to reclaim their share of treasure, by force, if necessary. And if you think about it, none of the elves at that battle are named.

But the other side of the coin is a very valid argument. That, as the only son of the king, Legolas would have been left behind to see to the defense of the kingdom. There was much to defend it from to keep their realm free; Spiders, Goblins and of course, the Necromancer was at work in their realm and they were having to deal with him. It would , therefore, have been very important to leave Legolas behind. It would not do to send everyone out to see an errand done and loose the whole kingdom while you are gone.

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Raefindel ]