View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM   #296
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Amandur

Amandur gazed again at the map laid out on the large oak table before him. After leaving Rauthain he quickly packed his things and headed for the library. Already he had determined that the passage south, west of the misty mountains was closed to the Revennor with both Rohan and Gondor watching for her passage and her diversion in the blue mountains would now be foiled and the Soldiers of Annúminas returning via the Shires borders would prevent her heading north.

“So were then would you go?" he whispered contemplatively, tracing his finger over the mountain pass, would she risk going so far east as to enter Eryn Lasgalen? No! he thought with a shake of his head. The Elven king would have heard of the attack on Rivendell and would be watching his borders closely, no that way is also closed to her. He smirked at the irony. “So what will it be north or south?” he pondered aloud, To go north would mean passing between the eyries of the eagles and the Carrock, but no one now knew weather either were still inhabited, but would she take the risk? He considered. We could skirt the mountains and cut her off at the Rushdown, he carefully contrived.

“And south?” he mused aloud, his finger following the course of the Anduin and stopping were the river Ninglor joined its course. “The Gladden!” He mused, their was something…. Stopping mid thought he abandoned the map and rummaged round a number of leather bound tomes that were piled beside his feet, finding an very dusty black leather bound journal, he put it on the table and dust rose into the air making him cough, but as the dust settled he opened the book skimming through the pages until he found what he was looking for.

October 1st SA 3434

We set camp on the banks of the River Nanglor, in the gladden fields.

Something or someone watches our passage, shrouded in an inky darkness. Elrond tells me he senses great anger and malevolence, but as yet all attempts to capture this creature have fail. It seems to know our plans before we even set them in motion. It moves leaving little evidence of its passage, If I did not know better I would think an elf trailed us! But the creature whatever it is must be caught be for it can pass what it has seen to its foul master!

October 2nd

The mornings scouts were attack, several good elves and at least a handful of Elendil’s men were lost. It was our shadow, those who escaped are stricken with some kind of madness and babble incoherently of a dark horror shrouded in beauty and darkness. I quicken our pace, but news of this horror spreads through the ranks and Elendil’s men dishearten. I double our efforts to capture this creature and prove that it is just flesh and blood and can be killed.

October 3rd

Another scouting party is lost as we leave the cursed lands of the Loeg Ningloran (Gladden fields), But the identity of our shadow has been discovered and it is more terrible than I could have realised! Our shadow is indeed an elf and a lady of my own court, one of the scouts a sentry of my house managed to mutter her name in my ear before passing on to death. I have said nothing of this to the others, the alliance is too important and is needed if we are to overthrow Sauron and his armies of Barad-dûr. The name of Naiore Dannan will not be allowed to poison this alliance with fear and doubt, no that secret for now I will keep to myself.

Gil-Galad.

“So it will end were it began!” Amandur mused dryly as he closed the journal, and turned his attention back to the map, strategically plotting how best to move against his fugitive. Totally unaware of the unhappy set of circumstances besieging his rangers.

The hour bell rang for the third time and finally realising the passage of time he cursed, quickly gathering up the map and ran with much haste through the corridors of the last homely house and down the path to the rangers quarters. He stopped short seeing the slight form of Avanill pacing back and forth in silent contemplation, a troubled frown fixed heavily upon his brow.

“Hail there Avanill, did I not say to Rauthain that we were to meet at the stables?” he queried, cocking his head to take measure of the young mans concern.

Last edited by Nerindel; 09-18-2004 at 03:12 AM.