View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 11:32 AM   #36
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
“Let us go sit by the hearth fire while it still stands in the wall,” Eodwine said, “and I would hear you speak at length of how you would be my steward.” He turned and nodded towards the hearth and they walked together to it. Thornden pulled two chairs near and placed one for Eodwine and sat in the second. There was a short pause between the two of them and Thornden considered his words carefully before speaking.

“I have to be entirely honest with you and say that when I came, not but ten minutes ago, I had no idea that such a stewardship would require so many duties, and even traits of character that you have mentioned. You ask me if I am worthy of it, but if you ask any man of the guard at Medulseld, you’ll likely get a ready answer of ‘yes, indeed I am, sir!’ for we can be overly proud in our manner and thoughts, if merely because we guard the King and his hall. I would that you had not asked me. . .

“However, because you have asked me, I will answer as straight forward as I may. You say you need a right hand man, one who can take your place when necessary, giving orders, and keeping books, and keeping order of the place. I think I am capable, yes. I am the oldest of several children, therefore can lead. My mother taught me to read, write, and know how to handle numbers when I was still a youth - your ledgers and your money keeping could be accurately and well kept. As for my honesty, well, it seems lame to tell you myself that I wouldn’t cheat the least of the king’s subjects, but I could call on any of my companions at Meduseld, or my sister, and others I know here in Edoras, and they would tell you the same.

“As for my character in itself. . .” he paused uncertainly. “It’s hard for me to explain that, sir, but I hope it wouldn’t disappoint you. I am not a violent man, but I do hate to see wrong done and not resolved or paid for. I’m sorry to say that when my anger is got up, I act quickly and rarely turn back from a purpose till it’s done. However, it may be good for you to know that I’m not easily angered, really.

“I would be willing to serve you as your steward, if you are willing to take me as that. I have no obligations elsewhere and can take the post at once, learn your will, and help you with the building of your new Mead Hall.” Thornden looked Eodwine full in the face as he finished. His expression was serious and entirely open. He had begun to like this man, Eodwine of the Gap, and thought to himself that he would be a very good lord and master to work under, and he would be honored to stand at his right hand.