View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe One Hobbit Good, Two Hobbits Bad

There's an interesting item on the Grauniad website here: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/200..._will_the.html

Now this brings up the real sticking point for me about the films of The Hobbit. That it's 'films', not 'film'.

Despite all the fun I have griping about the films of LotR, I did enjoy them as films. It was enjoyable if nerve wracking to finally see the books 'brought to life' as the cliche goes. Despite all this somewhere at the back of my mind and at the root of the films is the knowledge that they simply would not have existed without the books; they are not divisible from the original stories. The stories are the films.

It will be equally as enjoyable and nerve wracking to see a film of The Hobbit.

But as for this in-betweenie? No. It pushes the whole thing right over the brink from Hollywood into greedy Mammon. The word 'franchise' is used everywhere and rightly. The very concept of making this 'bridge' film is no more than another branch of Tesco, Starbucks or McDonalds in a long line of others. And that takes it right out of the magical world of Tolkien which was so special. Who feels the same?