View Single Post
Old 01-07-2001, 08:56 PM   #11
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Literary devices

* * * * I started this thread right before my sabbatical and so I did not track its developments however reviewing the contents, it seemed to be the ideal place to keep going w/ our project.
* * * * I favor 2 different approaches and am undecided between the 2.
A few of the other approches , I must admit I have [at the present no enthusiasm for].I prob won't have time in this post to review all the previous ones and collect the large #of ideas and suggestions- but I will put down the 2 approaches i have been chewing on the last week especially.

* * * * First off I am not in favor of Fan - fiction as Canon. Although I can legitimately see folks taking it as a starting point for fleshing out area's that JRRT never got around to writing as he might have wished and that this could even be a group approach [w/ an &quot;approved version&quot;]. But this can not be considered anything more than inspired forgery [ of course it could be so good that many would accept it as the real thing- I don't think anyone could start off w/ the goal of writing it as canon].

* * * * That being said one of the approaches certaily might be called Fanfic by some , but I will lay it out and let me know what you think.
* * * * * * * * 1- a conservative approach that only uses JRRT's written texts, it can accomodate minor drafts and revision only by them beingfleshed out enough to sustain replacing text.
I am assuming this exclude Myth's Trans. [but Saulotus , I would be happy to see your attempts and be convinced otherwise.] I think though w/ out seeing examples I would be inclined to use your splicing approach as evidenced in Epilouge an idea of what I mean can be gleaned from the first post in the recent Silm. Outline/Proposal thread.

I would if at all possible like to use the oldest [Lost Tales1&amp;2] and the newest [UT/HoME10-12] to flesh out and correct the 1977 Silm. using it as a convienent and i assume familiar starting point. Updating archaic words [Gnome to Noldor , proper names ,etc.]. After rereading the BoLT Fall of Gondolin I am not sure this can be profitably donbe w/out using the possibly controversial method #...

* * * * * * * * 2- Using the above text splicing method but going beyond replacing individual words ,salvaging more of the older more detailed texts by appropriating JRRT's actual phraseology from later writings.
NOT creating new situations but deleting details that contradict later forms of the text but keeping as much as possible, and harmonizing by deleting some of BoLT's archaism replacing the STYLE w/ actual words and phrases from JRRT's later style. I will try and give a paragraph or so as example in the next day or so.

lindil

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 1/25/01 10:31:17 am
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote