View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #346
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
The Wargs were also not present when the Feanorians sacked the Havens, because they were busy holding off the massive host of Morgoth that was coming against them. A greater threat than the Feanorians, but Elrond WAS very attached to his mother...

I'm pretty sure this is the case. The Book of Extra-Lost Tales IS written in an obscure branch of Nandorin, so it's devilishly hard to be certain what they are saying, but this seems to be the conclusive explanation.
I've been doing a bit more research into this branch of Warg history, and there seems to have been a bit of a misunderstanding at the time of the destruction of Beleriand.

As everybody knows, the Edain under Elros pretty much all removed to Numenor at this time, thus leaving behind Middle-earth and the Wargs for many long years.

However, it seems that Numenor was originally not intended for Men at all, but was- in fact- intended by the Valar to be the reward of the Wargs, whose part in the War of Wrath was, naturally, much greater than that of Men.

As a result of this mysterious misunderstanding, the Men of Numenor and the Wargs were somewhat estranged. Indeed, the Faithful of Numenor were not originally those loyal to the Valar, but those loyal to the Wargs as well. It wasn't until later, when the Numenoreans and the Valar fell out that the Faithful became allies of both.

The Wargs, in fact, were all but ready to intervene and squash Sauron when Ar-Pharazon landed in middle-earth. In fact, the reason the Numenoreans met no evil army was because the orks and them were off fighting the Wargs- unsuccessfully, I might add.

The Wargs, in a spat of spitefullness occassionally seen even among these benificent creatures, sadly allowed Sauron to live- thus allowing him to escape their grasp and flee to Numenor.

More can be said on Second Age history of the Warg-Numenorean relations, but the Awfullabeth is awfully hard to decipher, being written in a mazelike series of Haradric Metaphors. Improperly translated, it appears as a recipe for edible cement (Which, by the way, doesn't turn out as promised. Trust me, I know!).

I'll say more when time allows...

~Aspiring Warg Scholar - Formendacil~