View Single Post
Old 04-30-2002, 07:22 PM   #128
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

The first novel I ever read (when I was five) was by C.S. Lewis: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. The other six followed shortly after and I was infatuated with every one of them. It almost makes me jealous that everybody has read them because those books have always been my own personal little world, something like an early Middle Earth [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I can't believe that more people havn't mentioned Jules Verne's books! They may be outdated now, but if you consider the age in which they were written, they're incredible! Especially 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Captain Nemo reminds me of a demented Gandalf).

The Dinotopia picture books are great (I'm not ashamed to say that I read picture books!) That psuedo-Australian continent seemed so real to me for so long! Everything made so much sense in Dinotopia (even though the name is cheesy)...

C.S. Lewis' Malacandra and Perelandra books rock!!! They are sure to bring on an attack of Weltschmerz, though if you don't know the Bible it may be difficult to make some connections.

All in all I believe it's a pretty bleak world out there for fantasy after reading Tolkien, the father of the genre. My eye twitches uncontrollably every time I read a Tolkien spin-off, and there are plenty of those. Right now I am sloughing into the jungle of bizarre stuff that precedes Tolkien's fantasy era (i.e. Jules Verne's books)in a desperate attempt to escape those post-Tolkien writers that should be shot for plagarism.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote