View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 06:31 AM   #31
Arien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

There was a harsh knock on her study door that startled Acacia. She rested her white quill on the piece of parchment that she had been writing on and called for the visitor to enter. The door opened with a click and a messenger; dressed in Gondorian attire entered the dimly lit room. He quickly glanced around at his surroundings and shut the door behind him.

“A message.” He said speedily.

“From whom?” She said taking the envelope from him. There was no stamp, so it was anonymous unless the sender had signed their name. But then again the sender might not be that careless. She did not wait for him to reply but bade him farewell and locked the door behind him. She came to rest again on her chair and stared at the envelope for a second, she then proceeded to open it and read.

Follow the boy. Find out who is friends are, his trusted friends. Find out his hiding places, his safe havens. Use any amount of men you need. They are at your disposal as you see fit. Any resources that you need come to me. When you feel the time is right and we know everything, then we shall strike. Take your time and do not fail.

It wasn’t singed, but she knew it was from Jythralo. It was his hand, and who else would send her such a message? Acacia took the letter and held it above the burning flame of the nearest candle; it caught alight and burned brightly. She held it momentarily and then dropped it into a silver bowl that lay on her desk. Although the letter was anonymous she always felt it right to burn any letter that she received concerning Corsair affairs. She was vigilant of what might be found if certain information came to the wrong hands.

Acacia picked up the envelope and burned that also, even though it only had her name upon it. Smoke rose from the silver bowl and curled delicately in the heavy incensed air of the small study. She reminisced on Jythralo’s last words, …. do not fail. She would not fail, she would not let him down, or herself. She had encountered more difficult tasks then trailing a stupid child.

---------------

The sea breeze blew softly inland. It was mid- morning and Acacia had only just left her estate. She would try and find the boy herself at first. She saw no real use in having any men follow or help her at first until she had established some needed information. Such as who were the boy’s friends? And where did they go. This, she thought would be easy information to gather. Acacia knew many of the people around Umbar and no doubt a few might be able to point her in the right direction. But where to start looking? She thought as she entered the main high street.

It was a normal busy day; everything was customary apart from random posters that were scattered about. The new rules, Acacia smiled to herself. Her head was swimming with delight.

Acacia made her way to the Inn where Jurex and his various accomplices had managed to let the boy escape. She talked to the barman for a while, allowing them to get friendly with each other before she asked about him. She thought it better than asking him straight out. He was Gondorian, and he would obviously think it highly suspicious if Acacia had questioned him about Devon straight on.

“…. So what kind of crowd do you get round here?” She asked absent-mindedly.

“Oh well, the good type I’d say, nothing like that lot on the other side of the city.”

“Oh?” Acacia said raising her eyes to him. She knew he was talking about The Low Tide Inn. But it was conversation.

“Yeah, you know the one.”

“I think I do.” She said nodding and then taking a sip of ale from her tankard. “So who do you get then?”

“Good honest people like. If you understand me. We even get the Ambassadors son and his friends. Great they are, don’t cause me much trouble…”

Acacia nodded as though the comment was a throw away one but her eyes burned mischievously. “His friends?” She asked quietly.

“Oh yeah,” he said while serving another customer, his eyes however were fixed upon her. “There are three of them, a girl and two other lads. I can’t remember their names off the top of my head although I know one works for the Deputy Secretary, smart lad.” The bar man smiled momentarily as though he was proud of the boys friend. Acacia knew who the boy was. She had seen him at council meetings; his name was Calnan Dontel.

“Oh and the other young man and the girl. I do not know that much of them, though I think the girl is Adeline Montrés. Yes in fact she is. You know the girl...” he said looking at the slight confusion on Acacia’s face. She knew exactly who the girl was; the confusion was there just so he would confirm her suspicions. “She is Captain Gareth Montrés daughter. You must have heard of him?” He chortled exasperatedly.

“Yes, I have. The first man to catch Jythralo Doran I believe.” The barman nodded. Acacia paused for a few moments. She knew very well the he had caught Jythralo; she too had almost been caught. But she managed to slip away before he was captured. For the time Jythralo was in jail all she could think of was killing him, or doing something to harm him or his pride. Because of him the ‘repair’ of Umbar began. No longer could she be upon the sea, and no longer could she be a true Corsair.

She stayed a while longer but gathered, no other useful information. As she left she believed she had had a successful day. She had discovered two of the names of his friends and that the other was another boy. However now she felt she would need help trailing them. So she made her way Russ’ place.

----------------

“Another man?”

“I you would, and one who can blend in. I need him to track some people.” Acacia replied walking into the kitchen. The large cabinet had been restocked with various stuffs Blaine had purchased for Russ.

“People?” He said pouring a glass of rum for her.

“Yes people,” she said hastily taking the glass from him.

“I take it I will not find out who these people are?”

“You will not, at least not yet.”

“Will I have to wait until another fight breaks out?” He eyed her curiously.

“No.” She said simply. He nodded and left the room. It took him a few minutes to return with what he described as a suitable stalker. He looked as normal as any Gondorian, no Cosair in him at all. She stared for a few moments she then briefed him on what to do.

“….do you understand?” She said finally. He nodded and then left with a concise farewell to his employer.

As Russ shut the door behind him he turned to Acacia, “Will you be staying?”

“Yes, I think I will. Well at least until the stalker comes back.” She smiled at him.

“In that case I believe we have a lot to catch up on.”

[ November 15, 2003: Message edited by: Arien ]