Old 10-13-2003, 03:29 PM   #94
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Hello all,
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
just a quick note on some points raised here,

Gwaihir, I like your idea about the orcs 'outflanking' the chamber of Mazarbul from underneath, sounds like an appropriately sneaky plan!

I've been wondering about the Balrog too. Perhaps it was not involved in the physical fighting but, having been roused (maybe by the 'new' mithril seekers?) engendered a feeling of terror in the surviving dwarves. Was that the reason for their swift defeat? I'm also impressed by the dwarves choosing to defend the tomb of their fallen lord, much like their 1st Age ancestors.

On the Dain-Balin thing, to speculate (wildly), the way I see it is that after Erebor was rebuilt and stabilised many dwarves (probably mostly the younger ones?) became dissatisfied and agitated for an attempt on Moria (I've got a strange image of young dwarves graffiti-ing Erebor with "FREE MORIA" !). Balin was probably persuaded to lead the 'adventure party' as they needed his prestige in order to carry out such a plan. Dain (as it turned out) knew better, but could he have sanctioned the attempt in order to 'get rid of' politically unruly elements within his kingdom? If they retook Moria, Dain would have asserted his sovereignty over them as king of the Longbeards, if they failed, then everyone would have said he was right all along!