View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
I'm composing this from notes I made for a post to a morality thread I never replied to. In a way, it fits just as well here, since I captioned it 'Morality and Happiness - some conclusions from Myths Transformed'. I will see whether I can actually apply it to the six ways Esty described; it's definitely possible. Mainly, I imagine it as a 'theological' foundation for #4, integrity of character as required for happiness. I apologize for lack of definite sources, most of these points can be considered under the light of "cf. HoME X,5 [Myths Transformed]".

1. The immoral act in best intention (and the conscious intent of serving Eru) is not true sin/evil
2. repentance is divine and good: he who repents is not evil and can reach pardon and content/happiness
3. from 1+2: the immoral act without best intentions or conscious intent of serving Eru is sin/evil/truly immoral, even if not perceived as immoral [an interesting point, if we accept that - I'm not sure I even accept it as I concluded it myself]
4. he who constantly acts immorally/sins and never repents has to counts as evil himself
5. "all evil hates" (HoME X,5)
6. hate is the enemy of happiness, therefore immoral activity and happiness cannot go together

Morgoth, for example, eventually "liked" being a tyrant king, but existing solely as the desire to reign (etc.) he could never have been satisfied.
Knowing/conscious rejection of Eru's will has to result in and stem from hate of his creation and Eru himself. This hate can of course never be satisfied, it can only be amended through repentance.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote