View Single Post
Old 01-26-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Ancalagon'sFire
Animated Skeleton

Ancalagon'sFire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

One would also wonder why Durin's symbols would contain such distinct reference to Valinor, both in respect of the Trees and The Sickle?
Quote:
At the top, as high as Gandalf could reach, was an arch of interlacing letters in an Elvish character. Below, though the threads were in places blurred or broken, the outline could be seen of an anvil and a hammer surmounted by a crown with seven stars. Beneath these again were two trees, each bearing crescent moons. More clearly than all else there shone forth in the middle of the door a single star with many rays.
Yet, while trying to discover something about it I came across this reference;
Quote:
Now this is indeed the true beginning of Morwinyon and his beauty, yet the Seven Stars were not set by Varda, being indeed the sparks from Aule's forge whose brightness in the ancient heavens urged Varda to make their rivals; yet this did she never achieve.The Coming of Elves and the Making of Kor - HOME 1
I would imagine that since Celebrimbor drew the the design on the gates of Moria, the symbolism was of his choosing in acknowledgement of Durin? I guess another may be able to shed a little more light on the matter though!
Ancalagon'sFire is offline   Reply With Quote