Thread: How tall am I?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
That is indeed interesting... yet I believe it's in my Hobbit book that it says that elves were usually four to five feet tall. It might have been a mistake on the translation, or perhaps the usual elves were much shorter than the great ones like Galadriel.

Also, I'd like to note that it is not that men no longer reach heights of 8 feet.... as a matter of fact, they never did! Men are growing taller every generation (at least on the developed countries) children being usually a couple inches taller than their parents!

I think that may be a translation error... I think that those heights are given when comparing Hobbits to Dwarves.

As for Elf men in general ... well the matter is complicated by the description of Celeborn and Galadriel as being the same height ie 6"4 (inicdentally Cate Blanchett is my height (5"10 and they made her wear 13 inch platform soles for some scenes which would have made her nearly 7ft and so more or less twice hobbit size even if not twice hobbit actor size.....).

Now this would be ok if Celeborn was not also known as "the Tall" (mind you I have always suspected that the Celeborn the Wise was an ironic soubriquet so this may be the same although his name indicates height "silver tall" rather than silver tree if I remember correctly). However a man can still be noticeably tall and the same height as the tallest woman. I think I remember reading that the Teleri were in general of lesser stature than the noldor but of course their leade was tallest of all. Perhaps great height was a feature of the ruling house?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote