View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #2097
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caunwaithon
The movies really brought out the LOTR fan in me. I am now addicted to it, and I have just bought The Simrallion (correct me if the spelling is wrong) and I have just gotten to the demise of melkor, and the march of the elves.
Just as you mention your wish to correct you, I'll take the liberty of doing so. So it's Silmarillion, not Simrallion. Tolkien indeed got the idea for this name from the finnish mythology, where the mythological smith is called "Ilmarinen". You propably can taste the similarity.

So: Silmarillion - Ilmarinen (and don't pronounce it the basic american way, but try the original pronouncement, and you see, they fit like a hand to a glove)

I think, that kind of shows the way Tolkien worked, finding suitable syllables from here and there, and then knitting them together in his own, quite systematic work. What a guy!

But really. Welcome Caunwaithon, and Enedhilion, and Janthor too!

You seem to have quite an action going on at the the Green Dragon. Have fun, but get to know other folks also! There is quite a mob out there: so read some earlier posts and just intervene with anyone. You'll see, it becomes much more interesting with people who are total strangers to you...
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote