View Single Post
Old 01-06-2002, 05:54 PM   #2
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The following is JRRT's commentary on Galadriel and her 'redemption' from 'The Road Goes Ever On'. The song referred to is 'Namarie'.

"The question Sí man i yulma nin enquantuva? and the question at the end of her song (Vol. I, p. 389), What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?, refer to the special position of Galadriel. She was the last survivor of the princes and queens who had led the revolting Noldor to exile in Middle-earth. After the overthrow of Morgoth at the end of the First Age a ban was set upon her return, and she had replied proudly that she had no wish to do so. She passed over the Mountains of Eredluin with her husband Celeborn (one of the Sindar) and went to Eregion. But it was impossible for one of the High-Elves to overcome the yearning for the Sea, and the longing to pass over it again to the land of their former bliss. She was now burdened with this desire. In the event, after the fall of Sauron, in reward for all that she had done to oppose him, but above all for her rejection of the Ring when it came within her power, the ban was lifted, and she returned over the Sea, as is told at the end of The Lord of the Rings."

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Tar Elenion ]