View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 AM   #48
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

Quote:
by whom they had been harried and persecuted as long as they could remember
Apparently the Dunlendings were the people that nobody liked.

Quote:
It is said here that the native people of Enedwaith, fleeing from the devastations of the Numenoreans along the course of the Gwathlo, did not cross the Isen nor take refuge in the great promontory between Isen and Lefnui that formed the north arm of the Bay of Belfalas, because of the 'Pukel-men,' who were a secret and fell people, tireless and silent hunters, using poisoned darts. They said that they had always been there, and had formerly lived also in the White Mountains. In ages past they had paid no heed to the Great Dark One (Morgoth), nor did they later ally themselves with Sauron; for they hated all invaders from the East. From the East, they said, had come the tall Men who drove them from the White Mountains, and they were wicked at heart.~Unfinished Tales: The Druedain
This passage has always caused me more confusion than anything else.

The Pukel-men are presumably not the people whom we refer to as the Men of the Mountains/Oathbreakers/the Dead. (I might be wrong about this...another point for discussion?)

So the tall men from the East would, in this case, be the Men of the Mountains/Dunlendings who were wicked at heart. In this case the Dunlendings were invaders as well in their own right.

But then who are the natives of Enedwaith? For some reason I think of them as being related to the Dunlendings.