View Single Post
Old 10-03-2005, 03:52 AM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
This chapter, along with one to follow, is one of the most hard to read (for me). Not much 'dramatics', apart from several instances, but constant growth of pressure and creeping despair. Dark, thirst, hopelessness - the build-up is masterful. Tolkien does not have to resort to 'cheap' dramatic effects to make it obvious Mordor is dreadful place. On that background the few intrusions of hope are cut out clearer:

Quote:
‘Look at it, Mr. Frodo!’ said Sam. ‘Look at it! The wind’s changed. Something’s happening. He’s not having it all his own way. His darkness is breaking up out in the world there. I wish I could see what is going on!’
This sentence represents (along with Cormallen field and charge of the Rohirrim on the Pelennor fields and few more) an instance where I feel sheer joy of 'eucatastrophe' most intensely.

Snaga/Big Ork encounter is relief of sorts. Indeed, it adds up to the tension, showing how hot on Frodo and Sam's tracks pursuit was, but it breaks up the dreadful loneliness (for me). And even orks, based on their talk and behaviour, invoke pity and sympathy - it must be wretched life with 'numbers reported' and constant fear of treachery.

Further, ork-driven march it is even more depressing, and the tension is almost unbearable, with a risk of being discovered every minute, but again, it may make one feel symphaty for orks who are, maybe, unwilling to serve in the war, but are driven to it with whips

'Coincidental' rescue indeed, and the commas are rigthful, Esty. Tolkien never let slip the minor details - this is another instance of Evil bringing ruin upon itself, in all its actions, major or insignificant. Indeed, have the 'logistics' been more 'humane' in Mordor, or orks less 'self-oriented' (not pushing to get first, but letting each other in), Frodo would have been discovered. The theme of Sauron's 'selfish blindness' repeated on minor scale in his servants. Hobbits escape through 'lack of charity' in Mordor.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote