View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #278
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Oops, that changes things quite a bit. I'm trusting Eönwë's dream - in part because it explains the single-minded, aggressive way he's gone after Nog toDay, but mostly because it would be suicide for him if Nog turned out innocent, and I know he's too clever for that.
Indeed. That determinedness was basically (see above) what made me reconsider him. Obviously, it's an awkward thing, but he really had been very strongly going after Nog - and a Wolf wouldn't be as consistent, I believe.

Quote:
Has everybody forgotten that for all we know, the Acolyte may get dreams as well and, whether xe works with the wolves or on their own, is by all evidence not on our side?
Very good point. In fact, I haven't even thought about that (the initial impression was simply that it is a fake - and very badly made - revelation to save own skin and lull the Seer out), but certainly the point about not trusting everything I see immediately as face value is also there.

With the Acolyte, we are, it seems to me, operating also under the paranoid notion (supported by the mysterious Night narration) that Acolyte is something sinister and evil; maybe it is, but we can't know for sure. We might toDay also get the narration like "...and the Acolyte prevented a Wolf-lynch" or something (okay, this example in particular is unlikely, but might be e.g. the Acolyte can kill a person one Night, dream a person another Night, based on what allegiance he chooses or whatnot, and then do something with it... etc etc etc etc...) Or, what would be really brilliant role (but rather horrible) would be something like "Each Night, you dream of a person, you don't learn anything, you don't even assume its role in the strict sense, but the Mod determines randomly what you do based on the role of the person - e.g. you dream of Ranger, you randomly protect a person and it will be reflected in the narration. You dream of a Wolf, you push a random person - e.g. Eruhen - out of the window... now try to figure out for yourself how this system works and do about it what you will."

Okay, that's sort of strange... but you at least probably get the general idea. It's just an idea, anyway.

That said, I still don't believe the Acolyte kills every Night. (If at all, anyway.)

Might also be that Acolyte has some special abilities and then has something like "By Day 3, you need to pick your allegiance - until then you can do whatever you wish, but after that, you cannot change it." (If that were so, I'd strongly urge the Acolyte to be a nice guy/girl and join the village.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote