View Single Post
Old 04-05-2003, 02:17 PM   #54
Anglachel
Animated Skeleton

Anglachel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Brak and his small band of insurgent crebain had been warily tracking the murder since their expulsion. The forced secrecy had taken its toll on the group though, and Brak and the others were weary and in low spirits when they spotted the remains of the Elven city. It seemed a safe place to take shelter for a time while they rested and foraged for food.

It was here that Brak first caught a glimpse of Kadwyr. He appeared to be struggling in the shadows just inside the ruins. While Brak immediately recognized his friend, he could not see why the other crow was so fiercely struggling. As he flew closer, it seemed that Kadwyr was fighting against nothing more than shadows. Nevertheless, Brak approached cautiously.

As Brak swooped in from above, he saw with dismay the true reason for Kadwyr’s struggles. A black mist, very much like a shadow and somewhat in the shape of a man, had wrapped itself around much of the crow’s body. Brak cawed loudly and dove towards the mist, not really knowing what he could do against such an opponent. His first instinct was to use his claws and beak, as if the darkness was an enemy made of flesh. Though his attacks seemed to pass unhindered through the mist, Brak was relieved to see that the grip on Kadwyr was loosening. After only a moment, Kadwyr was able to maneuver himself out of his imprisonment and flew off, cawing loudly for Brak to follow. As Brak shot away from the ruins, he seemed to hear fell voices screaming after him. He quickly left the voices behind him and caught up to Kadwyr.

“What was that?” asked the shaken but still healthy Kadwyr.

“Not sure, but I recommend we avoid any further forays into the ruins,” replied Brak. “Are you okay?” he asked concerned.

“Fine now,” said Kadwyr, “though I am glad you showed up when you did. Looks like that old Sparrowbane was right after all about ghosts.”

“I would not dwell on it overly much,” said Brak. “On the other hand, I have a proposal for you that I would like you to consider seriously. I did not get a chance to confer with you before my expulsion from the murder. It all happened so quickly. Nevertheless, there are serious problems with this flock, as you must surely know. I ask you to join with me. We know the mission, we no longer need the others.”

“But why?” asked Kadwyr, “I like my place in the murder.”

“What about Krikaw?” fired Brak, “Do you remember him? He died needlessly! Must this continue? We can get ahead of the murder with a small group and cover ground more quickly. Traveling with such numbers is cumbersome and will lead to only more wasted lives when the bad weather hits. We can find these land creatures and report back to Saruman ourselves. It will be us then in his favor. No longer will we have to deal with Akaaw and his obtuse leadership!”

Kadwyr was not sure. He could see the fire in Brak’s eyes and it excited him. Nevertheless, this was no small decision. He did not know which way to turn.

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: Anglachel ]