View Single Post
Old 12-21-2002, 04:25 PM   #397
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Elanor looked up into yet another unfamiliar face. This face belonged to a young hobbit lad, who seemed jolly and relaxed. Elanor envied his comfort with his surroundings, then noticed that he had a steaming bowl full of something that smelled absolutely wonderful in his hands.

"It's the best Green Dragon has to offer in the way of meat and potatoes, miss, and you look as if you're in the need of a lot of such feedings." He said. His face was good natured, his voice cheerful. Elanor blushed.

"Thank you," She murmured, as he set the bowl before her.

"Where are you off to all alone, young miss, on such a night as this?" If it were any other male, he might have been teasing her, but his voice sounded young. He must still be a child, maybe not a year younger than her, but at least her age. And he was a good boy, she could see that. The fact that he was certainly not bad looking didn't escape her notice, either. She was a girl, after all.

She decided she liked him. "I'm going to care for my sick cousin down in Brandybuck," She replied, as she started in on the food, some of the most delicious she had ever tasted. "We're quite close- she won't have anyone else care for her." The boy made a noise of sympathy.

"That's pretty tough," He said, leaning against the counter.

"I don't believe we were introduced?" She began, in her quiet voice. It was a wonder he heard her over the bustle of the inn.

"Tom Proudfoot's my name, miss," He said, with a grin. "And you are?"

"Elanor Greenthumb," She replied, smiling.

[ December 21, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]