View Single Post
Old 06-13-2002, 08:40 AM   #47
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Child, please describe for me how Owen Barfield's philosophy affects Tolkien's primary images of Light and Splintered Light. I read Tom Shippey's book by that title (splintered light) years ago and found it very enlightening.

It occurs to me that the Elves' eastwardness as opposed to the Westwardness of some Men has certain harmonies with the Nephilim of Genesis 6 and other such passages (usually referring in the Torah, etc., to Giants - maybe like Goliath? -) I'm aware that the books of Enoch speak in very strident terms as to the ultimate destiny of these 'gods' who reject the rule of The Name by coming to earth to mate with and rule over humans. The tone is completely different between Enoch and the Silm, but I can't help noticing the similarities - take Curufin and Celegorm as examples of the worst Elves who have seen the West. What think you?

I have little else to add to this deep, thought provoking and enlightening discussion on Frodo. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading it.