View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 04:15 PM   #31
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><B>Ebony:</B> Really he is not telling you what colour Shadowfax is at all - only that his coat glistens like silver, and is at night like a shade.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That was a nice quote you looked up. I never realized that Tolkien was not coloring the horse directly.<P>I was "offended" when I saw the movie Shadowfax portrayed as white, when I had "silver-grey" in mind. And definitely, how would a white horse pass as a "shade" at night? (Hello! hope there is no moon!)<P>However, as you describe it, it could have been a very shiny black. That is interesting. <P>It reminds me of a conundrum I experienced related to the computer-animated television program called <I>ReBoot</I>. One of the lead characters, Bob the Guardian, has a shiny, black mop of hair that reflects silver at some angles. Because his hair is disheveled, it always seems two-colored. When I got the Bob the Guardian action figure (a collectible), his hair was reduced to a silver gray--<I>with no black at all</I>.