View Single Post
Old 07-11-2003, 07:05 PM   #99
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Why do people always have to bring up harry potter?? this is an LOR site if i'm not mistaken. I've never read the books or seen the movies and i don't intend to because it is not my cup of tea, i'm fine with the whole potter thing as lomg as people do not mention that it is better than LOR, because i must say that i do not feel that it is. The lady author was writting children's books although they were meant for "everyone" then some character is supposed to die in the phoenix that info she purposely leaked out to get more book sales by crazed kids and adults alike. Tolkien wasn't really interested in what other people thought because he had originally just wrote the histories and stories for his own leisure as many people do in their spare time; scribbling down parts of stories that pop into their heads or are parts of oringinal stories, for tolkien was fascinatied by words at a very young age thanks to his mother and he had a greater purpose to make a history like tale for his home country of Britain because it had no original story of it's own. But i also must admit that it is hard to find original material for a story these days, but author's are supposed to be imaginitive, so she should have tried to make her story have less conections then it has. If she was paying homage to tolkien does she write it somewhere in her books that she does? or has she ever admitted to it? Or has she taken those ideas to be her own? I do not want to start a war or words this is just my opinion and i am not dissing potter although i have no like for him. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]