View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #472
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
So we'd have to create a reason for Rūgh to even come with the party, and to travel clear over to the Paths of the Dead. Arg. I'm not sure what to do.
All is not lost. It's possible that Avarien, knowing what a tough time Nimrodel had in crossing by the river Gilraen, chose to ty crossing by Celos instead , and then planned to travel west in relative southern comfort.

Quote:
Um, pray tell where's Edhellond?
NOrth of Dol Amroth, actually. Where Morthond (flowing out of Erech) and Ringlo, and Cirill all flow together. If we cross over at Celos, and then cut straight west under the foothills of the white mountains, then we can get to Edhellond through a gap in the hills (that go down to Dol Amroth.).

Quote:
Hmm... I see how this probably happened. When I imagined Imrazor and Mithrellas, I took a look at a map and saw Dol Amroth, and followed the River Gilrain straight into the White Mountains. So in my imagination Mithrellas with Imrazor was nowhere near the Paths of the Dead.
Which is good, because she wouldn't have been... Nimrodel in her crazy despair went there later, and MIthrellas joined her (reluctantly.)

We have options. How about this: Tharonwe has been drawing Nimrodel westward ever since she started taking him seriously? She's been inching westward now for -- weeks? Months? I don't know how long since she turned to THaronwe, do you? (Egad, what season is it? What month is it? Good thing it's warmer down south.) Anyway, she could be in the mountains, or south of them, or working her way along the foothills. Perhaps she will be found lingering at one of the streams.

I always sort of imagined Nimrodel finding the body of Amroth, washing in some shallow salt-water estuary or swamp or something, like one of the Dead Marsh fellows, only not foul and not rotting. It's not neccessary to the plot, but would be kind of fun.
Either way, body or no body, I always envisioned the ending of the story to be at the ocean. Edhellond (being the most ancient of the southern elf-havens) seemed best, but Dol Amroth would work, or even just a barren coastline somewhere in Lebennin. As long as there are gulls, real salt water, and a far horizon.