View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 06:08 PM   #56
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Nuru, the thought ofyou acting out your stories makes me smile. You are such a sweetie.

If you don't mind my asking, and I mean it this way-- what qualities are you looking for in a friend that you think of in terms of "would make a good catholic"? Are you thinking virtues (which ones: I've often wondered what the official list is, do you know?), faith, prayer life, ... love of what's holy? Appreciation of beauty? Respect and admiration for holiness in people? Interest in the sacraments?

Goodness, Nuru, now that you brought it up, I'm really quite curious. Can you put it in terms of Tolkien and what he was like, or in terms of his characters? Are any of them "perfect examples", such as Sam or Strider or someone else...? And why? Which Tolkien character would be most at home in your church and why?

Wow, this is a fascinating idea.

Thanks for posting, Nuru, and I'm looking forward to your writing very much.

Oh, wait, one more thing. Can you tell me more about that tinwhistle? What is its story?

Fair's fair: my favorite pennywhistle is a Generation D, in good shape, nickel; only a few toothmarks on the blue mouthpeice. I have another, a nickel & blue Generation G (they're so little! ) that I've had for... hmmm.... since I was a -- sophomore? No, wait, freshman in college-- 1980. So that pennywhistle is 24 years old. It actually has slight wrinkles in the pipe where it has gotten bent-- somehow. Probably from being in a suitcase.

(I also bought an Oak D, black mouthpeice. I like giving whistles away, but I gave away my first Generation D and regretted it. The one I have now is a replacement. So I keep a spare.)

I'm amazed (and can you tell I'm happily excited?) about this team that has assembled. Eru is very, very good. Awesome. Totally awesome.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-09-2004 at 07:33 PM.